Current:Home > ScamsFormer DC employee convicted of manslaughter in fatal shooting of 13-year-old boy -Visionary Wealth Guides
Former DC employee convicted of manslaughter in fatal shooting of 13-year-old boy
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 08:11:08
WASHINGTON (AP) — A former Washington, D.C., city employee was found guilty of manslaughter Friday in the fatal shooting of an unarmed 13-year-old boy that sparked public uproar in the nation’s capital.
Jurors found Jason Lewis, 42, not guilty of second-degree murder, but convicted him of manslaughter and other charges after the trial in D.C. Superior Court over the killing of seventh grader Karon Blake.
Lewis, a longtime Parks and Recreation Department employee, turned himself last year to face charges in Blake’s killing, which happened in January 2023 around 4 a.m., across the street from the middle school Blake attended, authorities said.
Lewis was seen on video leaving his house and firing at two young people who had been breaking into cars, prosecutors said. After a car was hit with gunfire, Blake ran in Lewis’ direction, and Lewis fired two shots, killing him, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors played for jurors a video in which Blake could be heard repeatedly saying “I’m sorry” and telling Lewis, “I’m just a kid,” according to media reports.
An attorney for Lewis didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment from The Associated Press on Friday.
Lewis took the witness stand in the case, arguing that he acted in self-defense. He told jurors that he though he saw an other person open fire on him and feared for his life, local media reported.
He is scheduled to be sentenced in October. The manslaughter charge carries up to 45 years in prison.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Tens of thousands of religious party supporters rally in Pakistan against Israel’s bombing in Gaza
- Former Disney star Mitchel Musso's charges dismissed after arrest for theft, intoxication
- Officials stock up on overdose antidote naloxone after fentanyl-laced letters disrupt vote counting
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Deion Sanders saddened after latest Colorado loss: 'Toughest stretch of probably my life'
- A disappearing island: 'The water is destroying us, one house at a time'
- Is college still worth it? What to consider to make the most of higher education.
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Appalachian State ends unbeaten run by James Madison 26-23 in overtime
Ranking
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Author A.S. Byatt, who wrote the best-seller 'Possession,' dies at 87
- Police shoot armed woman at Arizona mall and charge her with assault
- Maine and Massachusetts are the last states to keep bans on Sunday hunting. That might soon change
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- SpaceX is attempting to launch its giant Starship rocket — again. Here's what to know
- CBS to host Golden Globes in 2024
- Moldova’s first dog nips Austrian president on the hand during official visit
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Taylor Swift Postpones Second Brazil Concert Due to Extreme Temperatures and After Fan's Death
Brazil surprise songs: See the tunes Taylor Swift played in Rio de Janeiro
How Khloe Kardashian Is Picking Christmas Gifts for Her Kids True and Tatum
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Q&A: The Hopes—and Challenges—for Blue and Green Hydrogen
Miss Nicaragua Sheynnis Palacios wins Miss Universe crown
Maldives new president makes an official request to India to withdraw military personnel